April 21, 2020

Tomato Seed Planting Tips

I let this blog go to the wayside some time back, but since I planted my first seeds in NC a week or so ago and have been sharing with friends on Facebook, I figured I might as well put a little more detailed information here where it might help others too.

Tomato plants love calcium, so rather than spend money on little peat pots or other seed-starter containers, I start my tomato seeds in eggshells.  Eggshells are free, and will give the tomato starts a calcium boost as the shells compost over time.  Win-win!



This year I put two seeds in each of two eggshells, which probably wasn't real smart since I usually have a pretty good germination rate.  Yep, all four came up several days later, so the crib's getting a little crowded.  I'll probably try to separate them when they're a bit older and stronger, but I could forfeit some in the process.  It wouldn't be a great loss, as I have plenty of seeds to start more.



When they germinate, tiny tomato stalks are very fragile.  When you plant the seeds, leave a little room in the eggshell (or whatever container you're using) to add more soil around the string-like stalks.  Roots will begin to develop from every part of the seedling that is under ground (even the part that was previously exposed), which will strengthen it.  Continue to do this each time you pot up, and you'll eventually have strong, sturdy stalks that rival small trees.  I've also heard it said that you can push the seedling very gently onto it's side and add a bit of soil along the now-horizontal stalk, which will cause more roots to grow downward along the length of it.  I haven't tried that myself, but it sure makes sense, so maybe I'll try it with one of mine this year and see how it compares to my other tried-and-true method.

These babies went nuts literally overnight!

When ready to pot up, gently tap the bottom of the eggshell on the counter or other hard surface, and pop the whole thing into the next size container.  Remember to put it deep enough in the pot to add a little dirt to surround the stalk now, also leaving room to add more later as the plants get taller.





And that is how to successfully start tomato plants from seed.  I hope you'll follow along as I chronicle my little tomato-farming journey, and the few other things that I hope to grow.  Funny thing is, I don't even like tomatoes, but I do love growing them.  I'm sure my friends and neighbors will enjoy the eventual fruits of my bounty.

~ Marie Anne


No comments: