April 7, 2014

And Then There Were Sprouts!

I posted the other day that I had planted a few things -  four lettuce seeds in a large flower pot, and a couple of old Big Boy Hybrid tomato seeds in flower pots - and that several days before that I had stuck one or two tomato in an eggshell.  The one in the eggshell still hasn't sprouted, so I tossed it in the compost this morning and see no sign of activity from the tomato pots yet, but all four of my lettuce seeds have sprouted!

Lettuce seedlings

The photo was taken a few minutes ago but they actually popped through the soil day before yesterday, so germination only took four or five days.

I'm not surprised about the tomato since the seeds are several years old, and the ones I planted the other day have been sitting in the mudroom where it's chilly.  Lettuce doesn't mind cooler temps as much and those seeds came from this year's packet, so it's no wonder they germinated when the tomatoes haven't done anything.

After poking through my old seeds, I planted a couple of bell pepper, cucumber, and Roma tomato seeds in eggshells this morning, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if any of them germinate, because like the Big Boy, they're all a couple of years old.  If they don't, no big deal, I'll just get more seeds and try again.

Burpless cucumber, Roma tomato,
and bell pepper seeds planted today

I've moved the egg carton closer to the light I have over the brooder for the six chicks, so the warmth from that should help them sprout, if they're viable.

I got two new chicks after losing two of the original six the other day, and all of them seem to be doing well.  I've been wanting to post about them, but having trouble getting decent photos since they don't listen when I tell them to hold still!

Since it's chilly and rainy here today, I guess I'll have to amuse myself watching TV (both chick TV and my large screen) instead of putzing outside.  I hope you're having a blessed day!

~ Marie Anne


No comments: