January 16, 2010

Eggs, Eggs, and More Eggs


It's been egg-ceptionally cold here in south/central Ohio, as it has many other places in the country. I still had only one chicken out of six laying (they're still young), and she went from laying every 2-3 days to a much slower 5-6 days between eggs, and some of them were found frozen solid in a matter of hours, broken open and not edible.

First egg, Dec 6, 2009

Since it's been so cold, I was only letting the hens out of the coop for a few minutes at a time, just a few times a day. It's understandable that the extreme cold and limited exposure to light would bring egg production almost to a standstill.

All of the eggs have been a good size, bigger than the large eggs I'm buying in the grocery store, and a nice, even brown color.

One of the earlier eggs compared to a
grocery store large white egg.



The last two days were much warmer (in the 30s and even hit 40 for a short time!) so the girls spent quite a bit of time in the yard. Being out in the daylight has made a difference - I got an egg two days in a row! That's not happened before, so I think one of the other hens has finally come of age.


This little lady is responsible for eggs thus far.

I'm ready for spring - and more eggs!

4 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

I love that chicken AND her eggs. If she starts laying GOLDEN eggs you will have a REAL treasure!

Keetha Broyles said...

I just found this comment from you on my blog:

"I want to go back to school with you as a teacher!"

Oh, THANK YOU so much for those words today!!! I am going through a little nonschool related emotional hurt today, and those encouraging words were really needed!

Thanks for visiting me AND commenting.

Callie Brady said...

Congratulations! Some eggs are better than no eggs. They are very pretty eggs! I just love going out to the nest boxes to collect eggs for my breakfast. She is a pretty hen!

Kevin R said...

Thiis was lovely to read