May 7, 2020

No Guts, No Glory ... or, Repurposing Throwaways as Planters

I've still been busy starting more seeds, but since it was a cloudy and rainy day yesterday, I took some time to finally get the coleus and impatiens into their forever homes in the containers in front of the house.  I'm surprised they survived as good as they did in the tiny pots, especially since I bought the coleus on the 'scratch and dent' rack at Lowe's on sale.  Even being root bound, they look amazing.

Just prior to planting

I have a fire pit in the backyard, but since I never use it for its intended purpose, I took the 'guts' out of it, and put flowers in the remaining block structure instead.  The guts (the piece that looks like a giant wok) was rusted through in several places so I almost threw it out, but then had an a-ha moment and decided to put flowers in it too.  I planted the three different variations of coleus and impatiens in that and my old washtub, but it's the fire pit planter I'll share photos of today.

The parts that were rusted through were big enough that I knew it wouldn't keep the dirt from falling through, so I put a layer of weed cloth in it first.

Too hole-y to hold the dirt

Dirt in place
Now to decide what goes where
Results
Bit of color near the porch

It was chilly overnight, and temps are still going to be lower than normal for a couple of days, but they all survived ok, and look great this morning.  




I put a brick under each of the back legs to tilt it forward just a little, and I'm really happy with the way it looks so far.   I need to decide on mulch for a finishing touch, and since it's a shallow container, that should also help keep moisture in.  I tried not to crowd it too much in hopes that the roots would be able to spread out, if not down, so hopefully the plants will forgive me for, and tolerate, the lack of depth.

Keep an eye out for my post about the old wash tub.  I'm pretty pleased with that project too.

~ Marie Anne

No comments: