April 25, 2020

Gardening Means Having to Be Flexible

I ended up visiting with a friend yesterday so I didn't get the goodies from Lowe's planted in the front containers yet.  We traded some plants and seeds, and I came home with a cute little sedum plant that I think will make a good addition to the containers, so I'm excited to get my hands back in the dirt today.



I did try to get the antique washtub situated in a good spot, but without much success.  Because of its age, it's no longer square or very sturdy, so getting it to sit well on solid ground has always been a challenge.  No matter how I maneuvered it, I was never able to get more than three of the legs to make contact, and that wasn't going to work.  I even dragged regular and landscaping bricks over there so the legs would be on something solid, but all of my efforts were for naught.  It doesn't help that the tub itself doesn't sit square on the base either, so even if I think the legs are sitting solidly enough, once I put the tub on, everything moves and I have to start over.

I finally threw in the towel and thought maybe I'd just set the tub itself on the ground without the base.  It's not what I want, but I guess that's what it's going to be if I want to use the tub at all.  I leaned it on a couple of bricks to get a bit of a tilt to it, but left it at that for the night and will play with it again today and see if I can come up with something a little more to my liking, and get the plants into their new homes.

Lonely washtub waiting to be filled
Plants waiting to get their roots in the dirt

I'm certainly not going to get rid of the base of the washtub, so I need to figure out what to do with that too.  Any ideas?


Lonely, naked base needs a new purpose


~ Marie Anne

No comments: