May 9, 2011

Wood Violet, Iris and Columbine Show

My perennial bed out front is filling out nicely.  My pretty purple iris are budding everywhere and should be open fully within a few days (I hope!).

I have three bunches of purple iris like this

Almost!


I still only have the one columbine, but it's a pretty little thing.  I'll have to see how they propagate and try to get more from this one plant if possible.  I love the delicate orchidy-pink and cream color.

One lonely columbine

I had this purple stuff that was like a ground cover spreading through the bed and I originally thought it might be the wood violet I replanted a year or so ago, but knew something didn't look quite right.  My gut was spot on as it's not wood violet, but I still don't know what it is.

I found more wood violet under the pine trees the other day and it's definitely not the same stuff that was already in my perennial bed.  I transplanted a few again and they're looking all bright and cheerful in their new home, not droopy at all after a few days.  I'm hopeful that they'll 'take' this year. That purple sure looks pretty in with the hosta.

Wood violet growing wild under the pine trees

Jethro was 'helping' and thought I might want his bone

Lots more pics of flowers and chicken stuff coming soon, just didn't want to put everything in one post.  Oh, and a little birdie told me there will be a nice giveaway here on this blog in the next few days, so stay tuned.


2 comments:

Auto Title Loans said...

Love the vibrancy of the violet! I was having a discussion the other day that here in So Cal, the Spring flowers tend to be in full bloom and a lot brighter then anywhere else. Is it because of the types allowed to grow in the climate? I kind of miss pastels!
Ava

Unknown said...

Looks like everything is shaping up nicely, Marie Anne. You even had sunshine to take your beautiful pictures!