April 11, 2011

I is for Independence

It was a beautiful 80 degrees yesterday, so I put the chicks outside in their playpen for several hours on their first adventure.  They did well, scratching the ground to look for goodies and testing their little wings.  I constructed a temporary chicken wire playpen to keep them in a smaller space within the larger fenced chicken pen, but they preferred to stay close together in one area.  So much for independence, but it was their first day out, so certainly understandable.






Back in the house overnight, here's one of them doing her darnedest 
to escape her plastic home, with Molly supervising, of course.  




And then the whole family had to get in on it ... Molly, Jethro and Boo.



It's hard to believe that just a few days ago I brought 
these cute little fuzz-balls home.  They grow so fast!


Next week will bring the next step to independence - overnight in the small chicken coop.




I'm taking the A-Z Blogging Challenge, where I will post something from each letter of the alphabet on the corresponding day in April, except for Sunday, on at least one if not all four of my blogs. You can see my other blogs in the sidebar - More of Marie Anne.

9 comments:

Angie Mohr said...

Too cute!!

Unknown said...

Your chicks are really lucky to be exposed to independence step by step as all things should be. And they have many guards to keep them safe at night.

Mocha Barney, Ashley Pumpernickel and Winniechurchill

Angela said...

They are so cute!

A Girl and Her eBooks said...

They are so darn cute!

Stephanie V said...

That one seems to have learned about independence.

Tracy Moore said...

Aww...aren't they adorable? I just love how all the other critters gather around them! Thanks for the smile Marie :)

Anonymous said...

My mom just got some chicks, too. They're in the house now.

I love your little kitty -- sweet!

Anonymous said...

I thoroughly enjoy these posts--and they only serve to strengthen my determination to move out to the country. :O)


My “I” post is here: http://www.word-nerd-speaks.com/2011/04/inconspicuous-online.html

Tara Tyler said...

Here chick, chick, chick!
Adorable (was going to say cute, but it's been done enough)
Happy I Day!