July 18, 2010

Of Chickens, Dogs and Parasites

All of my chickens continue to do well and the 'babies' have filled out nicely.  The young roosters are still trying to learn how to crow and even when they catch one of the hens, they're not sure what to do with her.  All in due time, I suppose.

I still have one very broody hen, but that's a story for another day.

Here are a few recent photos of some of the young chickens, with Molly thrown in the mix. Molly doesn't bother the chickens, but one or two of the little 2-pounders like to peck at the big 65 lb chicken that dares to enter their domain.


Molly, oblivious to the fowl play behind her




Molly coming out of the run, with Herman waiting to get past the sentry.




Nice shot of Herman's plumage.  He's getting more handsome every day.  
(He's going to be a red-neck.)




Lurch up top with some of the girls.  He's lost all but one of his pretty tail feathers.


My friend Angie wrote a great piece about how to rid your chickens of parasites naturally.  I've not had any noticeable problems with worms in my chickens, but there's no harm in using the method she describes, so I may do it anyway.  If you'd rather use natural, organic methods to control parasites in your flock, read Angie's post.






5 comments:

Goat-ama said...

Your rooster is very pretty. And Mollie is gorgeous!

Becky's Barnyard said...

This is good to know. I had no idea they could get worms, but it only makes sense.

CarolineNot said...

I love chicken pics, and you've some handsome birds. Thanks for sharing. Ü

Angie Mohr said...

Thanks Marie! And beautiful birds!

Callie Brady said...

Pretty chickens and Molly looks like such a sweetie. Love the grass!